Monday, November 4, 2013

Pet Peeve of the Day – Sheer Bad Manners!

Most people seem to be unsure as to the correct response to receiving a birthday card. Are there multiple ways to respond? How about a quick email or a text to say that you received and thank you for remembering me and my birthday?

I seem to remember everyone’s birthday. Before PDAs, I remembered my family’s and friends’ birthdays in my head. But now that I can enter birthdays in my iPad and put in reminders, I have added to that list my extended family, past clients and colleagues. I actually go out and buy cards to suit each one (not just generic) and mail them so that it arrives on time – for overseas friends and family, this may be 3 weeks in advance!

And yet… how many of those that receive it acknowledge that they received my good wishes? Sadly, a very tiny percentage.

A few weeks ago, I sent a gift for a relative’s grandson who turned 5 and who lives in Canada. I rushed a board game through Amazon to a friend who was leaving for Toronto. I know from tracking that the gift reached the friend on time. It is 2 weeks now, and I have to still receive an acknowledgement!

My final peeve is at a former colleague. To congratulate him on his new office premises, I took a gift and a card. I meant to surprise him. The office was closed. I went back the next day. The office was still closed. So I called him (ruining the surprise). He sounded rushed and asked me to leave the gift hidden under an upturned trash can in the backyard. I did.

That was 4 days ago! Not a peep from him.

Sheer bad manners!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment