Saturday, March 9, 2013

Thoughts on Writing

My new year's resolution was to write something everyday, even if it was just one line.
I have already fallen behind in doing that. Heck, I fell behind on Jan 4th.

The main problem is the voice. Should I write something as though I am teaching something to someone? Or a meandering kind of writing, stream of consciousness writing? Should I be flippant? Funny? Is it going into my blog?

I just don't know.

Then there is the other problem. I think of so many topics during the day, but at night, when I am in front of the iPad, either I have forgotten them or too lazy to write them. 

Thanks to Brain Pickings, here is an excerpt from Virginia Woolf's entry from April 20th, 1919, where she makes a case for the creative benefits of keeping a diary:

What sort of diary should I like mine to be? Something loose knit and yet not slovenly, so elastic that it will embrace anything, solemn, slight or beautiful that comes into my mind. I should like it to resemble some deep old desk, or capacious hold-all, in which one flings a mass of odds and ends without looking them through. I should like to come back, after a year or two, and find that the collection had sorted itself and refined itself and coalesced, as such deposits so mysteriously do, into a mould, transparent enough to reflect the light of our life, and yet steady, tranquil compounds with the aloofness of a work of art. 

So... Here is my new resolution. I will write something everyday after lunch, just something that I will also throw into this beautiful iPad, to be read maybe a year later.


No comments:

Post a Comment