Sunday, July 7, 2013

Have you tried registering at Yahoo!? Grrrr!

I received an email from a marketing company that my information on Yahoo! was wrong. And yes, they were right. It was wrong. The address was an old one and I had moved on from the company listed there.

Since I had not sent in the information, they must have got it from a third party source.

To change the information, I had to register and create an account. Yahoo! insisted on my filling in my birthday - month, date and year. I tried to leave the year blank... nope, it would not accept it.

So I put in 2013.

Up popped a window saying:

Please get your mom or dad! You need your parent or guardian's permission to continue. Show them this screen.

O-kay.

So I changed the year to 1990 - I would be 23, so presumably, parental permission would not be required?

Nope. Yahoo! was adamant - I had to get my parents' permission. Here's what the website said:

"To create a Yahoo! ID for your child, we require your consent to collect, use and disclose certain personal information about him or her. You can give this consent by signing in to Yahoo!, reviewing and editing the information your child provided, and then submitting the form on your child's behalf.
You will be charged 50 cents to help confirm that a parent or guardian more than 18 years old is involved. Yahoo! will donate a portion of that charge to charity."

I am sorry, Yahoo! for entering 2013 as my birth year - I was not trying to deceive you, just not comfortable giving my age.

I tried signing in through my Facebook account. Here, it wanted me to give permission to access all my contacts and my profile, which I declined to give. So it threw me out.

The 'Help' portion has an 'Email a Support Agent' form. Well... that is a huge form to fill and among a whole host of stuff... it asks for my date of birth!!!

I could call a Customer Care person, but you know what... I've had enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment