Thursday, July 4, 2013

So much for organic gardening

After 3 months of assiduous gardening – planting from seeds or saplings, plenty of compost and MiracleGro soil, mulch and water by the gallons, all that grew was 1 small sad tomato. In comparison with store-bought Arnold Schwarzenner-type tomatoes, this tomato was a 90-pound weakling waiting to have its face kicked with sand.

What could I have done wrong?

I redoubled my efforts. More soil and more compost, and mercifully the heavens opened up with bountiful rain.

To my dismay, the leaves now seemed to be stripped off. By rabbits, deer, squirrels? I hadn’t seen any evidence. I have never known squirrels to eat tomato leaves, besides they are too busy eating birdfeed.

I didn’t see any deer poop. I’m not sure what rabbit poop looks like, but I hadn’t seen rabbits since Easter.

Uncle Eric threw up gazillion links for unhealthy tomato plants. The recurring theme was that strong antifungal and anti-bug sprays were called for.

So… hello malathion.

Let’s see what happens…

No comments:

Post a Comment