Friday, July 5, 2013

There is a gene for that!

My great grandmother had a crossover toe i.e. the 2nd toe on her right foot sat on her big toe. It sat there firmly and could not be moved back. As kids, we thought that was hilarious.

Last year, I noticed that my father’s right foot had a crossover toe. Look, I told him, it’s just like your grandmother’s.

It didn’t hurt him but he could now wear only slip-on shoes or slippers that didn’t have a toe.

This year, I noticed that the 2nd toe of my right foot had wandered close to the big toe. In fact, it was getting positively chummy, leaning against it.

Dangit… there’s a gene for that!

I googled ‘crossed toe’ and got 16,000 results in 0.33 seconds!

The link to NBC 29 from Charlottesville, VA gave the best definition:

“Crossover toe is a condition in which the second toe drifts toward the big toe and eventually crosses over and lies on top of the big toe. Crossover toe is a common condition that can occur at any age, although it is most often seen in adults.
Some people confuse crossover toe with a hammertoe, probably because both conditions involve a toe that does not lie in the normal position. However, crossover toe is entirely different from a hammertoe-and much more complex.”

The site goes on to say that:

Although the crossing over of the toe usually occurs over a period of time, it can appear more quickly if caused by injury or overuse.
Symptoms may include:
  • Pain - particularly on the ball of the foot. It can feel like there's a marble in the shoe or a sock is bunched up.
  • Swelling in the area of pain, including the base of the toe
  • Difficulty wearing shoes
Crossover toe is a progressive disorder. Without treatment, the condition usually worsens to dislocation of the joint, so it is very beneficial to have a foot and ankle surgeon evaluate the foot soon after pain first occurs.”

Right.

But nowhere does it say that it is genetic. How else do you explain 3 generations of crossed toe?

I don’t have any pain. Yet. And I can wiggle the 2nd toe and place my big toe over it. But for how long???

One site suggested taping and splinting to help the 2nd toe stay in position.
 
 

Fig 1 shows my foot the way I think it was last year. Fig 2 is what I imagine it will be next year or soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment